Sunday, August 4, 2013

LUSH haul


What's that smell? Oh, it's me, because I just spent the last hour bathing in a magical concoction made of shea butter, jojoba oil, and a little bit of happiness. And how did I come by this potion, you ask? Well, pleasant fellow, I took a trip to Lush Cosmetics! I had a specific purpose for this Lush trip so the products I purchased were all demonstrated on me in the store by a cool guy named Damian who coincidentally saw me in my university's production of Our Town last fall. He also had the softest hands of anyone in the world, which sounds creepy, but we held hands for a wile, while he showed me the luscious wonderful products that I ended up taking home.

If you don't already know about Lush Cosmetics; why, oh why don't you know about Lush Cosmetics? It is a completely cruelty free vegetarian company that utilizes the minimum of packaging and uses their influence in the world to campaign and do community outreach. The company has a strict no animal testing policy for both their products and suppliers as well as several charity products that give back to communities and causes they believe in. If you would like to know more, as I strongly suggest you should, go here to read and watch up on what Lush is all about.

I have been to five Lush stores in my life: City Walk, Philadelphia, Cherry Hill, Boston, and Valencia; and not once have I had a bad experience with customer service or had a question go unanswered. Every time I ever had any questions, Lush associates were always helpful and handy. Going into a Lush store is not like browsing for a new soap; the people at Lush want to make sure you get something that you need and will love. They ask you about yourself to be able to make educated suggestions and will demonstrate these products for you so that you spend your money on things you use and that you picked out for yourself. I can't stress this enough, Lush loves you and wants you to love them too. They will make a compelling argument every time you walk by, and you will have to try very hard to stay indifferent. The prices are steep, but you pay for the quality and there are box gifts that have discounted prices so you can try the products without dropping serious cash. 


So this is what I ended up with. I went in knowing that I wanted a hair care treatment for my dry and damaged hair and a face wash for my dry and sensitive skin. So when I walked in, I b-lined for a sales rep to ask for some help. They sat me down and massaged my hands with all of the products and my hands are still insanely smooth. 


The first thing I grabbed was H'Suan Wen Hua. It is a hair treatment used to strengthen and moisturize your hair. I was speaking to the 35 year old in disguise as a 20 year old sales rep, Miranda, who has been bleaching her hair for a long time. She swears by this, and let me touch her hair to prove the soft promise of H'suan wen hua. She prefers this over Marilyn, the blonde hair treatment also offered by lush. 

To use this product you massage it into your hair and scalp while dry. Leave in for 20- 30 minutes, Miranda says an hour, and then wash out. The reason you don't massage in while wet is because when your hair is wet it is already full of moisture to capacity, and when it is dry it is able to soak up all the delicious stuff in this product. This has egg, avacado, olive oil, and herbs ready to hug my hair into silky submission. Funiest of facts: The name is pronounced Swan when wah, and it is named after the Chinese goddess of hair.
This yellow wonder is Godiva, a solid shampoo bar. Lush is the inventor and patient holder of the solid shampoo, and it really is a unique product. This smells amazing plus it is both cleansing and conditioning at the same time. They suggest this type of shampoo for people who are on the go, because it is solid, a two in one, and long lasting. The tiny bar is supposed to last you 60- 90 washes depending on your hair type and how much you wash. I also bought a tin to hold it because when talking to Damian, who uses this product everyday, he said it can break apart with use, but the tin keeps it together. 

What you do is just later it up like you were using a bar of soap on your head. It cleans and moisterizes. It contains camellia oil to help with fly aways and frizz, which is the same oil used by sumo wrestlers. Gosh I am just full of the funist of facts. I am very excited because it is weird and smells so yummy, I want to live in that tin with it. 
Now this is Happy Happy Joy Joy, which smells like the way sunshine feels in a meadow on a picnic wearing a sundress of love. That being said the main purpose of this conditioner is to moisturize and perfume the hair. I expect to smell like a ray of sunshine all day after using this. It smells light and pretty; it uses rose centifolia and orange blossom water to brighten your fucking day. It is an aptly named jolt of happy. 

It is an almond milk and jojoba oil infused milky consistency that works like any other conditioner you are used to. This matched with Godiva will make my shower be a happy explosion of hair smells. Which sounds weird, but whatever. It is also very light so it won't heavy down my hair. This is exactly what I was looking for since I have very thick hair, and other heavy conditioners weigh it down. 
Well, well, lookie here, this is Big solid conditioner. This product was something that I couldn't leave in the store. I wasn't sure I would be able to use it since I have so much hair, but after smelling those entrancing jasmine and vanilla scents, and feeling how wonderful it felt being massaged into my hand, I thought to myself, 'Sean, you are weird and totally love this, so try it,' and then I took it home with me. The bar is made with no preservatives and utilizes sea salt to build up volume. The coconut oil makes this really soft, so even though it is 'solid' it is really squishy and melt-able.

To use this you pinch off a tiny bit and mush it up in your hand with water; it creates a paste and you work it through your hair like other conditioners. This is something that I was surprised by when I was in the store and even though it is unconventional I am excited to use it.
This was the product I came in looking for, not by name, but the purpose. R&B leave in conditioner uses these amazing oils to soften hair. This can also be used to style hair as it tames fly aways without making your hair really heavy and greasy. The product can be used on wet hair or dry, a lot or a little, frequent or not. It really is whatever you would like it to be. It has many flora smells and is very perfumed. One of the creators of this, from the group of UK managers, Shakira went on to create many fragrances for Lush, so it is not confusing that R&B has a very strong smell, that I suspect will follow you around all day. 

You should only use a small amount because there are no fillers in this product and every little bit goes a long way. I am looking forward to this because of the styling purposes with the healthy stuff as extra  benefit. I am looking forward to being able to smooth my hair down with this, and if my split ends strengthen times three due to the olive oil, then good for me.


After getting an entire hair regimen, I asked about simple skincare for my dry and sensitive skin that sometimes gets pimply. My main man Damian came by with some cleansers that are non irritants and will work well for my baby paper face skin. Ultrabland was my instant favorite. It felt so wonderful going on and feels so silky. It is 20% rose water that reduces redness and makes the cleanser fragrant. Lush markets this as their makeup remover because it works so well.  

Funiest of fun facts, one of the co-founders, Helen, uses this everyday for the past 35 years, and she said that it is the reason that she wanted to become a part of the company. She was so impressed with this product she spent the rest of her life building Lush. This is a life changing face cleanser. I would like it to make my face super soft and moisturized so that after washing it doesn't get itchy. Here's hoping. 

My favorite this I purchased all day was Breath of Fresh Air toner water. The reason for this was that it is so simply good. My whole life is just a spray away from happy. The toner waters Lush makes open pores and closes them so dirt can escape and not make its way back in. After using this on my face just once, I just feel so good. It is one of the only instant effects I have experienced. My skin feels smooth and soft all over. 

It is both fresh sea and spring water with patchouli and rose. It is refreshing and there isn't much else that fits so perfectly.


 I then got Phoenix Rising bath bomb because I wanted Dragon's Egg but they were all out. My other Phoenix Rising broke before I got to use it, so I wasn't able to experience the whole thing, but it was still an excellent bath, so I went with this. It smells like Apple Pie and makes you so soft all over. It is like bathing in lotion, but the cinnamon spices you up and warms you.

 I was looking for a bubble bar that I had not used before and this one just smelled so wonderful. Creamy Candy Bubble Bar smells so sweet and sugary and has melty coco butter pieces in it that will make the bubbliest of bubbles and make you all soft and stuff. I got to pick from a yellow, white, or blue flower, but I had to go with the yellow. It is just so sunshiny. 

 The last thing I picked up was the Lush Times! If you would like to look at one for yourself, which showcases all of their products except for online exclusives, and explains all of the cool outreach, protest, and campaigning endeavors Lush is up to, you can pick one up at your Lush, or get it sent to you in the mail. You can sign up for that on the Lush website. Or if that doesn't work, then you can look at it on the website as well. 

It's bath time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment